University Housing’s philosophy is grounded in the sentiment, “we care.” In the spirit of the Carolinian Creed, our goal is to foster a respectful environment in which students, faculty, staff and visitors feel welcomed, valued and included. We are committed to creating residence hall communities where everyone:
- Discourages gossip, mean-spirited attacks and bigotry
- Demonstrates a commitment to individuality and concern for others
- Acknowledges the validity of others’ feelings
- Approaches ideas as a matter of perspective
- Engages in respectful dialogue with one another
- Learns from individual differences
The Diversity Statement above was developed through efforts of the University Housing Diversity Committee and adopted across the department in 2011. As part of University Housing’s goal to create cultural environments to support learning and personal growth, several programs are promoted annually encouraging both student and staff participation. Examples include the Tunnel of Awareness, Diversity Art Program and our newest initiative—the Commitment to Inclusiveness award.