Designing Sustainable Communities for Living and Learning


Technology Information

Residence hall rooms have both wired and wireless network access. Residence hall common areas have wireless access.

Visit University Technology Services for information on how to get connected on campus.

Please make sure you have all of the necessary components to connect to the University of South Carolina network before you arrive on campus. It will make your move to campus much easier and save you from making unnecessary trips to the store.

The majority of residence halls provide one connection per resident. However, there are some residence halls that have only one data jack per room. In those locations, University Housing provides a network switch device that is used by residents to provide network access to both students in a room.

Under no circumstances can any type of router (wired or wireless) be connected to the University network. Use of this type of device can result in permanent disconnection of internet service. Students who desire more than one wired computer connection in their room can purchase and install a 10/100 SWITCH. If you have any questions about what is allowed, contact the UTS Service Desk at 803-777-1800.

Is your computer up to speed?

View UTS's recommended Computer Requirements. But, don’t forget these computer specifications are so you can get the best performance out of the University of South Carolina network. Be sure to check with your college for more specific computer requirements necessary to complete your schoolwork.

The Carolina Tech Zone at University Technology Services will be open on Move-In. If you need technical assistance connecting your computer to the internet or need to get Microsoft Office or antivirus installed, drop by the Carolina Tech Zone at 1244 Blossom Street, at the corner of Blossom and Sumter.

If you need computer help after Move-In Weekend, call the UTS Service Desk (803-777-1800) or visit the The Carolina Tech Zone at 1244 Blossom Street.